Connect with us

US

Lawmakers eye $4.2 billion deal to fund needy NY state schools

Published

on

[ad_1]

Lawmakers are zeroing on a blockbuster deal that would funnel $4.2 billion in additional aid to public schools across New York state over three years to comply with a controversial court ruling.

In the Campaign for Fiscal Equity ruling, the Court of Appeals in 2006 found that Albany’s underfunding of New York City’s public schools denied Big Apple students a “sound, basic education.”

Under the tentative pact discussed by Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie and members of his Democratic conference on Sunday, $4.2 billion would be funneled to schools statewide over three years, or $1.4 billion per year, to abide by the CFE case.

The money would be distributed under a progressive “foundation aid” formula aimed at steering more funds to New York City and other poorer school districts.

“I’m going to be very proud when this budget passes. It’s going to be historic,” Assembly Education Committee Chairman Michael Benedetto (D-Bronx) told the Post Sunday night when asked about the funding.

Benedetto said the Democratic-led Assembly has long sought a financial package to meet obligations under the CFE ruling, including in this year’s budget proposal. The $4.2 billion spending proposal was included in the Assembly’s original budget resolution introduced two weeks ago.

Sen. John Liu (D-Queens), who chairs that body’s panel on New York City schools, confirmed Sunday there was an agreement on the $4.2 billion funding package with the Assembly and Gov. Andrew Cuomo. He said the funding would apply to schools statewide.

Both houses of the Legislature — the Democratic-run Senate as well as the Assembly — are pushing to raise $7 billion in taxes on big businesses and wealthy taxpayers to fund the additional spending on schools and other programs in a $200 billion plus budget due for adoption on Thursday, April 1..

The proposed tax hikes would come in addition to an infusion of $12.6 billion in federal COVID-19 recovery aid the state treasury is receiving under President Biden and Congress’ American Rescue plan. The federal assistance, coupled with higher than anticipated tax revenues, balances the state budget without the need for spending cuts or substantial tax hikes, state budget Robert Mujica said last week.

Education advocates have long complained that Cuomo and lawmakers have failed to comply with the CFE ruling — including at a rally outside the governor’s Manhattan office last Friday.

Alliance for Quality Education executive director Jasmine Gripper charged that Cuomo “has consistently failed black children by underfunding our schools and limiting opportunities.”

Initial efforts to comply with the case stalled when the state grappled with the Great Recession of 2008.

Budget watchdogs have criticized the court ruling, noting New York’s state and local governments combined spend more per capita on public schools than any other state in the country, — more than $24,000 per student, nearly double the national average. Also, funding for New York City schools compares favorably to other urban school districts across the country.

Cuomo’s office stopped short of saying there was a deal and suggested the state has already abided by the dated CFE court ruling.

“Budget negotiations are ongoing. That said, the basic facts on this lawsuit — decided 14 years ago — are clear: It only applied to New York City and required that $1.93 billion in additional state, local, and federal revenues combined be provided to the City school district,” said Cuomo budget spokesman Freeman Klopott.

“Since this decision, the district’s budget has grown by $13 billion. We are working with the Legislature to determine what additional resources for school aid are available.”

Klopott also defended Cuomo’s education record, claiming the administration “has invested record funding in schools.”

[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading

US

NYPD releases video of gunman firing into group in the Bronx

Published

on

By

[ad_1]

New video tweeted by the NYPD Sunday shows a gunman wildly firing down a Bronx street into a group of people in Fordham Manor, leaving two men wounded, cops said.

“WANTED for ASSAULT: Do you know this guy?” the NYPD wrote on Twitter.

“On 6/25/21 at approx 11:10 PM, in front of 2710 Morris Ave in the Bronx, the suspect fired several rounds towards a group, striking a 26-year-old male and a 20-year-old. Any info? DM @NYPDTips, or anonymously call them at 800-577-TIPS.”

The suspect who shot at a group of people in the Bronx on June 25, 2021.
The suspect who shot at a group of people in the Bronx on June 25, 2021.
NYPD
The suspect firing the gun in the Bronx.
The suspect firing the gun in the Bronx.
NYPD
The shooting left two people injured, according to the NYPD.
The shooting left two people injured, according to the NYPD.
NYPD

The 26-year-old was shot in the buttocks and the 20-year-old was shot in the leg, police said. Both were expected to survive.

The victims said they were standing with a group of friends when the “guy just came up and started shooting,” a police spokesman said.

No words were exchanged, video shows. 

There were no immediate arrests.

Source link



[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading

US

FDA finds peeling paint, debris at US plant making J&J’s COVID vaccine

Published

on

By

[ad_1]

A US plant that was making Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine must fix a long list of problems including peeling paint and unsanitary conditions and practices to resume operation, according to a highly critical report by the Food and Drug Administration.

Experts said addressing the issues raised in the scathing FDA inspection report could take months.

Neither J&J nor the FDA has said when they expect vaccine production to restart at the Baltimore plant owned by Emergent Biosolutions. Only two other plants are currently equipped to supply the world with the key drug substance for J&J’s vaccine.

“It may take many months to make these changes,” said Prashant Yadav, a global health care supply chain expert at the Center for Global Development. He described some of the issues raised by the FDA as “quite significant.”

No vaccine manufactured at the Emergent plant has been distributed for use in the United States. However, J&J said it will exercise its oversight authority to ensure that all of the FDA observations are addressed promptly and comprehensively.

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine was put on a pause in the US over a potential link to a blood clotting condition.
Getty Images

The health care conglomerate has drawn scrutiny for months over its halting process to scale up production of a vaccine that is easier to handle and, by virtue of being a single shot, easier to use than other authorized vaccines.

Its use in the United States has been paused since last week as health officials study a possible link to a very rare but serious blood clot condition.

Emergent has been seeking regulatory authorization to make the J&J vaccine in the United States. It stopped production at the plant recently, saying the FDA had asked it to do so after an inspection.

J&J’s plant in Leiden, the Netherlands, is still producing doses for the world. It has another facility in India, which is currently curtailing exports of the shot as it struggles to vaccinate its own population.

Johnson & Johnson reiterated on Wednesday that it was working to establish a global supply chain in which 10 manufacturing sites would be involved in the production of its COVID-19 vaccine, in addition to the Leiden plant.

The company has a US government-brokered agreement with rival drugmaker Merck, which is preparing to make doses of J&J’s vaccine.

Failure to train personnel

The FDA in its final 12-page inspection report said it had reviewed security camera footage in addition to an in-person site visit to the Emergent plant.

It found a failure to train personnel to avoid cross-contamination of COVID-19 vaccines from Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca, which had also been produced at the site. The agency also cited staff carrying unsealed bags of medical waste in the facility, bringing it in contact with containers of material used in manufacturing.

The FDA reviewed security camera footage and visited the Emergent BioSolutions plant in Baltimore.
Getty Images

Earlier this week, the House launched an investigation into whether Emergent used its relationship with a Trump administration official to get a vaccine manufacturing contract despite a record of not delivering on contracts.

Emergent said in a statement that it is working with the FDA and J&J to quickly resolve the issues outlined in the report.

Production of the AstraZeneca vaccine, which is not yet authorized for use in the United States, was previously stopped at the Emergent plant after ingredients from that shot contaminated a batch of J&J vaccine, ruining millions of doses.

The FDA also noted that Emergent did not produce adequate reports showing that the vaccines it was producing met quality standards.

The inspection, carried out between April 12 and April 20, also found the building not of suitable size or design to facilitate cleaning, maintenance or proper operations.

J&J said it was redoubling its efforts to get authorization for the facility as quickly as possible.

[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading

US

One dead after pair of fires breaks out in Manhattan

Published

on

By

[ad_1]

One person was killed and several others were injured in a pair of Manhattan fires Wednesday morning, officials said.

The first blaze erupted in Midtown around 8:15 a.m. inside a DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse at 213 W. 34th St., where an escalator became fully engulfed in flames — sending smoke billowing into the first and second floor and the interconnected 40-story hotel building, fire officials said.

It was not immediately clear which hotel it was.

Five firefighters suffered minor injuries putting out the blaze.

“The fire went out, but we have a smoke condition that we’re trying to alleviate,” FDNY Battalion Chief John Porretto said at the scene. “Units are going to remain on scene until all the smoke alleviates.”

The fire marshal will determine the causes of the fire.

A second blaze broke out 15 minutes later on the Upper East Side at 1576 2nd Ave., officials said.

A three-alarm fire at 213 W. 34th Street in Manhattan that left one dead
A three-alarm fire at 213 W. 34th St. in Manhattan left one dead.
NYFD

One man died in the fire and a second man was in serious condition at Lenox Hill Hospital, police said.

A firefighter suffered minor injuries battling the blaze and was taken to Cornell Hospital, fire officials said.

[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending